Samantha Karress, a Wisconsin resident, became depressed when her two-year-old golden retriever Luna fell asleep. Luna’s ability to avoid death has come as a blow to her owner, who is doing her best to warn other pet owners of a ‘killer dog’ lurking in their home.
Like other dogs, Luna roamed the house, biting everything she thought she could eat. He ate an entire pack of lemon-flavored gum, not realizing that the treat was artificially flavored with xylitol, a deadly canine poison.
Samantha and her husband were nervous about Luna’s liver failure. The dog was rescued for just $20,000. However, due to lack of funds, the family had to give him a cute puppy.
Samantha is now used to reading xylitol labels and has stopped buying such items to protect her other dogs. Authorities estimate that the number of people exposed to xylitol has increased by more than 3,000 percent in less than 10 years, so it’s important for pet owners to carefully check their closets and keep non-xylitol substances out of the hands of dogs and other pets.